Friday, December 5, 2014

Advancement!

I am completely exhausted today.  I just haven't been able to wake up.  It feels like I am trudging along through mud and it is sucking me under.  It is the feeling I used to get when I was an insomniac and I do not need that again.  It is frightening because I haven't been sleeping well and the last thing I need is to develop insomnia again.  I'm always on high alert for insomnia.

Anyway, I figured I'd take the opportunity to catch up on some news in my life.  I am still working at WNW and have climbed the food chain.  Recently I was promoted to assistant manager, which is great with a very small pay raise... wish it was more.

It is ironic because, when I started here, I swore that I wouldn't go after advancement.  I had a bad taste in my mouth from LD to the doctors office and I just wanted a job that I enjoyed and had no pressure on.  I especially had a bad taste in my mouth about management from my experience with LD.  I was SO thrilled to be baker here and never had more fun at a job but finally got out of that into a key holder position for the money.  I wish I was still the baker because seriously, you can't have a more stress free and fun job than that.  Still, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised because I've never been in a job that I didn't look for advancement in.  There just must be something about me.  If, after a year, I don't feel there is advancement opportunities, I get bored with it real quick and move on.  I've noticed that in my past work experience.  So really, getting to assistant manager in a year isn't that big of a surprise.  It is just something that I go for and can't help but work for the goal of advancement.

Honestly, I look around at the other stores in this company and I am kind of surprised to find so many employees that have been working for years in one position and haven't moved up the corporate ladder.  That is hard for me to grasp that you'd want to work in a retail environment for years and not advance.  I think I'd go crazy but that may just be me.  Comparatively, WNW is not a bad company to work for.  I have my gripes, as any employee does, but I have seem much worse companies and I've been interested in working for them for years.  In this town, they are the leaders in pet nutrition.  I have been sending my clients to WNW for years to get advice on pet foods.  So I am happy to work here but I guess I could have never done it without looking for the next step.

I am looking much more into doing other things but a career at WNW is a possibility for me if nothing else.  The GM said that I am next in line for a store manager position so that is encouraging.  A year with the company and I've already leapfrogged many other people just because I want it and I can't do a job without trying to succeed and be better.  Just how I was raised I guess.  Who knows what the next year will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment