Friday, June 21, 2013

Black Forest Fire

I've put off writing about this because it was upsetting.

Colorado's fire season started a little earlier this year than last year.  This time we had a fire in Black Forest, which is just north of Colorado Springs.  At the moment, I don't think they know what started it though but on June 11th a little over a week ago there was suddenly a fire in Black Forest.  I saw the smoke plume and it just went up so fast.  Less then 24 hours later homes were lost.  Black Forest was such a beautiful area but it was also the perfect storm.  It burned like forests are meant to burn.  Unfortunately, people were living in that forest.

This turned into the worst fire in Colorado history, almost a year to the day of the Waldo Canyon fire.  Once again our community watched in horror as people lost everything they had.  It hurts.  I hurt for them.  Many people living in that area have horses but no trailers.  The fire burned so fast that many people were not able to evacuate their animals.  They had to set them loose and pray that the animals would have the instincts to survive a fire.  I can't imagine ripping down a fence and hoping my horse would survive.  Our whole community watched in horror but I can't imagine being personally effected by that. Through it all we will see a strong community come together after this though.  Colorado will stay strong.

It just terrifies me that we are under the threat of destructive fire year after year.  Please let us have a break from it next year.

My heart goes out to those who lost homes, property and animals.  My heart also goes out to the family of the two people who lost their lives.  Be strong.


  • 511 homes lost
  • 2 people killed
  • 14,280 acres burned
  • $8.5 million to fight the fire
  • Started on June 11th 2013
  • 100% containment June 20th 2013


















Here in Colorado, firefighters are true heroes.  I wish I could thank every single one of them that stood in front of the fire to defend homes.

Firefighters found four dogs and a cat dead at this home.  I'm sure they were exhausted but they took the time to bury those beloved pets with honor and love.  I'm sure it meant the world to the family.  Those men deserve metals.



No comments:

Post a Comment