Sunday, June 9, 2013

Run like a zombie survivor

I needed that last post to rant in.  Not being a huge people person sometimes I just need to rant about them. But I feel better now.  Either rant or punch someone in the face.  Figure I wouldn't like jail much so no assaulting people.

Anyway, here's the real update on life.

I've started exercising.  I know I make a stab at it every so often but I'm going to make this one stick.  I am sick of being out of shape.  I haven't been truly in shape since high school when I could really kick some ass with my muscle tone.  Course I was playing sports and had the benefit of that good old teenage metabolism on my side.  Then I went to college and worked way way too much.  That's generally the theme in my life.  I work too much and don't have time or energy enough to get my ass exercising. Course I didn't really didn't gain weight or get curvy until college.

Then the next time I felt like I was in shape was in Europe.  Walking everywhere and carrying a very heavy backpack on your back will get you into shape.  Which is a good thing because otherwise I would have gained like 200 pounds in bread and cheese I'm sure.  Oh bread...  Oh cheese...  Yeah definitely would have gained a lot of weight.  Instead I was in shape.  Maybe that and the time change was what really helped me cure my insomnia and conquer my depression.

I know I want to feel better in my life and I figure that starts with feeling better in my own skin.  I want to be able to move around like I used to and FEEL good.  Exercise generally doesn't feel good to me but if you do it enough you can do a lot more cool things like climb a mountain.  Caitlin and I have a goal that we'll climb Pikes Peak at the end of this summer.  And I am running a race later this summer.  The Color Run was a lot of fun this past year but I'm determined not bungle into it and punish myself like I did last time.  It's actually going to be fun this year.

So my mistake in the past has been just going out there and running first thing.  Which sucks because my body hates me and I hate me and it's all just a massive ball of misery.  I did that because I was never able to pace myself and start slow.  I wasn't sure how.

That's where Zombie 5k comes in.  It's an app on my phone that gets you ready to run a 5K in 8 weeks.  There are several workout sessions in a week.  You can set it up to play your music so you can run but it talks to you too and each run is a mission in the zombie apocalypse.  You're a survivor and you're running from zombies.  How much fun is that?  I'm enjoying it although I only just finished the first week and haven't gotten into the "action" yet.  It has started me out slow and it gives me something to focus on rather than "man this sucks."

So I haven't yet figured out how to get it to use my GPS on my phone yet but at least I figured out the music.  I'm happy with it.  I'm over the hump of running where I do want to die and I'm sore all the time.  I can't say that I look forward to going for my daily run but at least I'm not dying on the inside at the thought of it haha.  Progress.  I don't have a goal to how much weight I want to loose or anything.  I just want to be able to FEEL good.  It'd be awesome if I could get around without feeling out of shape.  That's the goal.  I'm on my way.

Oh and I've decided that if you want to be in my zombie survival party you should have to complete Zombie 5K.  Otherwise you're on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment