Monday, January 13, 2014

Attempt at the Northern Lights

Earlier last week there was some hoopla about the Northern Lights possibly being visible in Colorado because of some solar flare or something like that.  I've lived here all my life and I've only ever seen the Northern Lights once here when I lived in Boulder.  So of course I wanted to go see them.  It's the Northern Lights, you don't pass up a chance to see those right?

A group of us got together and decided to drive up to Red Rocks near Denver to see if there was anything we could see.  First we went to this secluded area off a mountain highway and had some beers.  Sadly, the wind was cold so there was a lot of huddling in the back of the car for warmth.  There was a clear spot right above us but the clouds were low and shifting around.  The lights from Denver were reflecting off the low clouds so it wasn't as dark as it needed to be I think.

After a while we decided to head to Red Rocks.  It's such a beautiful area that, if we had been able to see the Northern Lights, that would have been the place to do it.  That was the same idea that A LOT of people had.  There were quite a few cars around and it was kind of funny because everyone was trying not to disturb other people with their lights.  Then there were the people that didn't care and just blasted their lights everywhere.

It didn't really matter because there wasn't anything to see.  Either the clouds were covering everything, or the reflecting light was too bright or the Northern Lights didn't make it that far south this time.  Either way our trip was for not.  Still, it was lots of fun.  I am so happy now that I have friends in my life that I can be myself with and man we have fun.  It's wonderful to have friends that I can call on for a spur of the moment drive to see the Northern Lights.  That's something.

Shay, Kathleen and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment