Sunday, May 3, 2015

New Orleans and Cruise!

I finally got to scratch off a New Orleans trip off my bucket list!  That and Jake and I got to take a little pre-wedding craziness cruise.  It was a wonderful trip even if I kind of struggled throughout.  We flew out on Saturday afternoon and on Saturday morning I was feeling very sick.  I slept most of the drive to Denver and on the flight.  By the time we landed and got to the hotel I was actually feeling a little better so we were able to get out and walk to dinner.  We ended up walking to Bourbon street and there was a festival going on.  It was a lot of fun and busy.  I can not imagine the French Quarter during Marti Gras.  It must be mass chaos.  I used to want that on my bucket list but I don't think that it would be that fun for that long.  Still, seeing Bourbon Street up and running was an experience.  The music festival was going on all weekend so we spent Sunday walking around the French Quarter exploring and listening to music.  It was wonderful.  Of course though, I was getting over the cold and we ended up having alligator meat sausages.  I don't think they were cooked all the way through because I spent the evening with a very upset stomach.  Monday we had some hours to kill and my stomach was feeling better.  We were catching the boat that day so we walked down to the pier.  The hotel was expensive but it was a great find because it was within easy walking distance of the French Quarter but away from all the noise and craziness of Bourbon Street and within walking distance of the pier where we were catching our boat.  It was perfect.  So we walked down and waited in lines and lines and lines to get on the boat when I noticed my face was feeling weird.  It was burning a bit and turns out I was having some kind of allergic reaction and my face was breaking out in this really weird irritated skin.  It cleared up after a couple of days but it was just one thing after another because it was followed by a cough and stuffy nose.  I recovered though and had a wonderful time despite it.
Bourbon Street!
We took a five day cruise to Mexico and back.  We got on the boat on Monday, had a day at sea on Tuesday, Progresso on Wednesday, Cozumel on Thursday, day at sea on Friday and back in port on Saturday where we had a couple of hours before flying out.  I must say that it was fun but I couldn't do a cruise longer than that.  Jake and I aren't overly social or "organized fun" people so we did a lot of laying around and eating on the sea days.  There isn't much to do otherwise.  It was relaxing but after a while it is just like oh my God I can not eat anymore!


We were standing at the top front of the ship when it departed down the Mississippi River.

Our ship- Carnival Elation

Anyway, in Progresso we went and saw the Mayan Ruins at Uxmal and then had lunch at a little historic building where they gave us authentic Mexican food.  It was cool but HOT.  HOT HOT HOT.  I can't imagine doing something like that in the height of summer when it is melting hot.  We took the tour given by the cruise, which I am glad we did because we ended up being late back to the boat so they knew were coming and didn't depart.  I think the Mayans are cool but I just found myself wishing that it was more like something you would see in the US.  In the US there would be a whole museum to walk through to explain the culture and explain what you were seeing.  If you walk around the grounds, there is a lot to see and it was cool but there weren't any plaques or anything to explain what you were seeing.  And we found out that the cool stuff you are seeing is mostly refurbished.  None of the original stuff is taken care of, they restore it all and it doesn't look the same.  There is no explanation of how it is restored and how they know that it looked that way.  So it was very cool to see and walk around, I just wish that there was more.  A few plaques here and there would go a long way.


Cozumel was by far my favorite stop though.  We decided to do our own thing because Jake had been there earlier in the year for work.  We got off the boat and immediately caught a taxi south.  We just wanted to get away from the crowds and find something to do.  On the list was snorkeling, jet skiing, and possibly para-sailing.  We found this private beach down away from the crowds from the cruise ships.  When we arrived, we were about the only ones there.  Immediately, we decided to rent jet skis because there was only one other person out on the water.  It was so much fun.  I was giggling and laughing and then I got to drive and that was even more fun.  No, I didn't dump us or lose Jake.  I think I could do a lot more jet skiing in the future.  When we returned to land we had some pina coladas and enjoyed each other's company.  Next adventure we were thinking about doing para-sailing but it is SO expensive.  So we decided to go snorkeling.  I am a good swimmer so I had a great time floating and flippering around.  I love the ocean, which might be surprising because I'm a native of a land locked state.  While I was enjoying the fish with just my flippers and my snorkel, Jake was safely floundering along with his life vest and holding on to the lifesaver being towed by the little Mexican guy guiding us.  It was pretty funny I have to admit.  After we returned to land again, we took a taxi up to the other side of the island for some food and shopping.  Then back to the ship.
Feeding the fishies!

Ready to not drown!

International love!

Adventure seekers!

It has been a long time since I had a true vacation where I wasn't doing anything but relaxing.  It felt... weird but good haha.  And I know that I am looking forward to every second of my future with Jake.  If we can make it through being trapped on a boat together and not murder each other in international waters then we can make it through a marriage.  I can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment