Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Goodbye Old

So I've been unsettled for a while.  That's nothing new.  Physically unsettled in that my things are everywhere and I haven't moved into my house.  Unsettled in my professional life because I can't decide what I want to do.  When I left LD as manager it was because emotionally I couldn't take it anymore and it was either do that or have a complete breakdown.  So I left.  That was SO hard.  I don't like feeling unsettled or that I'm not achieving anything.  But I took the chance that I would find my way.

Found my way to my current job.  Well this week I threw that out the window too.

For those who don't know, I work as a receptionist.  But it's confusing because technically I work for three separate companies.  One is the drug trial company and they're the ones that handle me as an employee.  However, about 90% of my work comes from the doctor that I work for.  He is not easy to work with.  The other company doesn't have their stuff together and is extremely disorganized.  I was "trained" by them for about half an hour way back in September.  Then the woman who was supposed to be my contact apparently left the company 4 months before anyone bothered to tell me.  Then take into consideration that I haven't had someone reliable to cover my lunches since before Thanksgiving.  The people, that's right people (4 to be exact), who cover me during my lunch are not trained because they have no interest in being on the receptionist desk.  Three of them have been promised a coordinating job so they want to focus on training for that.  So my repeated requests that they spend more time training have been ignored for months.

I spend about 25% of my time fixing issues that they create during the hour a day that they are on the desk.  I have complained over and over again that it is a waste of time.  I don't know why they don't just commit one person to training and covering me.  It makes no sense.  They're just allowed to half ass it and I pick up the pieces.  However, when I start getting in trouble for things that they did and for things that no one told me needed to be done differently that's when I will put my foot down.

So this week I just realized, you know, life is too short.  I do not want to work for people who are just disrespectful, unorganized and unable to fix issues that I need help with.  I think... close to five months should be more than enough time to adequately fix the issue of someone covering my lunch.  I think I have been more than patient and flexible.  But then it just comes down to I don't like the job anyway and I am not willing to put up with people's crap while doing it.  Again, life is too short.

So I put my two weeks notice in.  First time I've done that without having a job lined up.  But honestly, I am sick of this crap.  I know I complain a lot about my jobs but I haven't found one that really feels like it fits me.  That's something that I feel like I should have.  I am a firm believer in do what you love instead of something that will make lots of money.  That's why I'm a dog trainer and that's why I graduated with a degree in English Literature.

Hopefully I have a job by the end of the month because that's when I'm done here.  I had my second interview today with Best Friends, which I think went really well.  Though it will be two weeks before they decide who they want to invite out for a two week trial period.  So I can't count on that job for a while.  I have an interview tomorrow for a vet's office which I would love.  Other opportunities open up.

I'll be glad to be done with the dull job though.  Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment