Friday, July 20, 2012

RenFest!

I have a lot to update about.  I just literally haven't had much time to do it all.  So I am going to choose one topic as to not overwhelm you all at once.

I have been meaning to update about the Renaissance Festival.  We'll just go with I LOVE the Ren Fest and go every year.  I don't think I've missed a year since I was old enough to go on my own.  If you don't love the Ren Fest then there's so something wrong with you.  Just kidding.  But really...

Colorado Renaissance Festival

So this year we ended up going on what I think was kid's weekend but it wasn't swarming with children any more than usual.  We like to go earlier in the day so it's not sweltering out but it was pretty hot.

Things to do there:
ShowsI'm not huge on this but every so often you see an act worthwhile.  The jugglers are always cool though I don't know if they were here this year.  The Celtic music guys are always good but if you know me you shouldn't be surprised that I love Celtic music.  Cast in Bronze is always super cool.  It is this theatrical guy that plays a Carillon, which is this huge instrument with all these bells.  It's a historic instrument and I think his is the only working model today.  Very beautiful music.  The joust is always fun if you want to hang out that long.  I always want to see them do more though but alas they can't get too dangerous I guess.  This year we saw a hypnotist show.  I participated so I didn't really see it.  Although I'm not huge into hypnotism, I do believe that meditation and deep relaxation can do wonders, which is really all hypnotism is really.  My sister assured me that it was a very entertaining show though.  I think she got pictures of me hypnotized but needless to say I am not posting them.  You'll just have to hypnotize me yourself if you want to see it.
Eat- The Ren Fest has all the great foods of carnivals.  I'm not a huge carnival junk food person but I do like the other stuff they have.  I can be counted on to enjoy a turkey leg from time to time.  I try to stay away from the chocolate booths because there are so many better things to spend your money on there.
Shop-  Okay let's face it, this is why I go to the Ren Fest.  I love to shop there.  I save up every year and go there to get jewelry, artwork or pottery.  I was hoping to get a new ceramic food dish for Whitman from my favorite booth there but she had really slim pickings this year.  It made me wonder if she had been having health problems and hadn't been able to do as much work.  Really sad.  I wanted to get a new Claddagh ring but didn't find anything that sparked my fancy.  I also didn't trade in any of my old rings since most of them are actually from Ireland and much more meaningful.  However I did get an anklet.  I've been meaning to train myself to wear one again so I bought one there with a pretty red tiger eye on it.  Tiger eye is supposed to be good for energy and knowing me I could always use some of that.  Then I bought a pendent from one of my favorite shops, Uncommon Adornments.  They have very pretty Celtic inspired jewelry.  The pendent I got is pretty simple and symbolizes inner strength.  I always like to pick something out with a good meaning.  As promised, I also got a pretty metal rose for Kathleen.  I got her one last year too.  I smell a tradition coming on.  Honestly I wish I had LOTS of money to blow because I could easily drop a good amount at the Ren Fest.  I've ALWAYS wanted to get a medieval inspired dress with the layers and corset.  I think they're beautiful and I so wish that was our style of dress today.  Today's clothes are just so much more boring than they were back then.  But I can't go sweeping around town in a cloak like I'd like to without declaring myself a major nerd/geek.  Which I am but I don't think I want to come that far out of the closet.  I think that's all I managed this year.  I always go with a goal.  Next year I think I'm going to have to get more artwork than jewelry.
Atmosphere- Whether you like it or not you can't beat the atmosphere of the Ren Fest.  Lots of people dress up and it's a good time.  Then there are the people that work there and really get into character.  They have a parade and it's just a great time.  Loves.  I've always kind of wanted to work there for the summer but I'm sure it is not as fun as it looks.  So I don't want to ruin the experience.

Although it is totally geeky, I love the Ren Fest.  Here's to next year!

Caitlin and I several years ago.

Uncommon Adornments Jewelry

No comments:

Post a Comment