Wednesday, November 7, 2012

This, that and the other thing

Okay this is the last thing I am going to say about politics for a long time.  This election has pretty much beat what little patience I had for politics right out of me.

Obama wins.  We get four more years of him.  Honestly, I hadn't paid much attention to him over the last four years so I am hoping he'll just kind of fade into the background.  I did vote and I did not vote for Obama.  Although I agree with many social and cultural things he supports, I thought it was more important to get a strong economy going.  Guess most of America didn't agree.  Though This was a pretty close election based on popular vote.  Can I just say that I don't have any idea how the electoral college works but it seems like a pretty stupid system to me.  I'm sure it serves some purpose but it could also be one of those strange bureaucratic things that don't really make any sense to anyone but it's there because it has always been there.  I hope the country doesn't go too far into debt over the next four years but at least I hope there will be some good social strides made.

And that's all I have to say about politics.  I want all the political signs and ads down.  No one better call me at work anymore to campaign.  Thank God that is over.  I was going to start slapping people here pretty soon.  Now I can go back to just having a general knowledge about politics for the next four years.  Then we'll go through this all again.  That's a drag but at the same time it is an incredible thing.  There are many  many MANY countries all over the world that do not offer that freedom to their people.  We are truly blessed to live in a place that the leadership of our government is so easily and bloodlessly transferred   And hey, you don't like this president, there will be another one in 4-8 years depending on terms.

Oh and if you didn't vote, shame on you!  Seeing how close the popular vote was just goes to show you that your vote does matter.  And if you didn't vote I don't want to hear a peep out of you.  You can't complain, bitch or moan about anything political for the next four years because you did not exercise your civic right to earn the right to bitch.  So hush it!  Me, I do have the right to bitch, complain and moan because I got out there and took 15 minutes to vote.

Okay, political ramble over.  Done and over with.

In other news, the house is trucking right along.  I am so over remodeling though and we aren't even half way done.  Ug.  I feel like I am banging my head against a wall repeatedly.  Mostly I just want to move in.  I am honestly considering doing it before the thing is finished.  That would motivate me to get off my butt and finish it.  I believe the electrician is almost done.  Furnace will go in here soon.  Windows are being done soon.  What else does a girl need really?  Oh right, fence for the dogs.

Spent last Friday in Denver with the LD training crew.  We were up there to attend a dog bite conference with Victoria Stilwell.  Victoria Stilwell, the positive reinforcement trainer from Animal Planet's It's Me or the Dog, is the most incredible person.  She is probably my all time most favorite person in the world.  I either want to hug her because she's so sweet and cute or follow her around in awe of her greatness.  Seriously, someone I very much look up to and if I could make myself like a "celebrity" it would be her.  This is the second I've seen her and I just love her.

Anyway, the conference was actually very very interesting.  It is such an important topic because dog bites do happen and they can be very bad.  I hate the fact that when it does happen though, often times it is the dog that is blamed when really it should be the owner.  Dogs are pretty much what we make of them.  We force them to live in our world, in our society and then we blame then when we didn't show them how to do that.  It is a tragedy that when dog bites do happen it is on children the majority of the time.  I came away from this conference with a new desire to really focus my career on aggressive dogs and the interaction between dogs and children.  It is SO important.  You can mark my words that if I ever have children, God help me if I do, that they will have a very healthy respect for dogs.  As will the children of my siblings.

There were some hard topics discussed.  I was really amazed and wowed by the courage of one couple who spoke to us.  They lost their two year old son to a bite from their family dog six years ago.  It was very emotional and hard to hear but very important that we do hear.  Dogs bite.  We need to be prepared for that and not shy away from that.  Their courage really moved me.  I was also fascinated by the dog bite investigator.  I almost feel like that is what I should be doing because it blends my love of crime and crime solving with dogs.  That would be an incredibly hard thing to do though.  I also need to look up the irresponsible owners law from Georgia and really give that a hard read.  I would like to see something like that passed in every state.

Victoria Stilwell is passionate about dogs and positive reinforcement training.  I love her!


What else?  Oh.  I am very much failing at my attempt to do the NaNoWriMon.  I am probably about 20 pages behind.  I just don't often have time to sit down and write.  That's what I am going to do tonight.  I need to sit down and write about 15 pages to catch up somewhat.  That and fold laundry.  What a night it will be.

Better get back to work so I can leave on time tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment