Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Chocolate Day!

Happy Valentine's Day...  Yeah actually I don't care.  Valentine's Day has traditionally been soaked in suckage.  For a long time Valentine's Day was very much cursed for me.  Last year wasn't too bad so I'm hoping the curse has lifted and I can get through today without the ceiling collapsing or something.  That said, the best thing about Valentine's Day is that tomorrow all the chocolate is 50% off.  YAY!

As far as I'm concerned, Valentine's Day should be celebrated more than once a year if you're one of those people that has a sweetie to be Valentine's with.  It shouldn't just be one day to treat each other specially and let the other know that they're loved.  I think it would mean more to get it on some random day that you haven't been reminded about since Christmas by the chocolate and candy companies.

My best Valentine memories are from Elementary school where we would decorate shoe boxes with hearts, ribbon and candy.  Then we'd go around and deliver little Valentine's to everyone.  It was so cute to get that little thrill that the cute boy two seats away gave you a Valentine instead of thinking about how he gave everyone a Valentine.  Those were the days!

I got a secret admirer valentine in middle school that I treasured for a long time.  Made me feel very special.  When I was moving one of these last times I found it and realized that the writing was way too pretty for a kid.  I'm sure it was one of the adults in my life trying to do something nice to me.  No idea who it was but thank you.  For a long time I felt like someone thought me was beautiful and liked me.  That was wonderful in some hard transitional times in my life.  That's a very nice gift for an awkward geeky girl.

Now I wish I was gullible enough for that to work.  Alas some bad Valentine's Day influenced by some very uncaring and cruel people has made me mean and cynical.

Then I read an article like this and I realize I've got three happy Valentine's waiting for me at home.  And they don't care if I spend $50 on flowers.

Dog Valentine


No comments:

Post a Comment