Monday, February 11, 2013

Nearing the end

It has been a long road and I am never ever doing it again.

I am talking about remodeling a house of course.  But we are nearing the end which is exciting.  Things are starting to come together and it's starting to look like a liveable space.  We have had bad luck with the several people we've hired to help us though.  They keep getting sick and that has really delayed things.  We were supposed to put the kitchen together this weekend but the floor guy got sick and didn't lay the linoleum on Friday like we thought.  I try not to be too irritated but yeah I kind of am.

Things that were accomplished this past week was the wall patching and gutters.  I am not a fan of the gutters at all.  They were supposed to be the same green as the trim but turned out to be much lighter.  So we're going to have to paint them.  Really dislike the color they are now.  That will probably have to wait until spring though.

Since the wall patching was mostly done, we did get started painting.  My mom has been helping me pick out paint colors which has been exceedingly frustrating for me.  I am not really into colors and I don't have the patience to look at a zillion colors that start looking the same to me.  Plus I tend to like dark colors and apparently that is just really out of style for smaller rooms.  Whatever though, it's my house.

So I chose a dark maroonish reddish color for the dining room.  At first my mom just wanted to paint one wall that color as an accent but accent walls actually kind of drive me crazy.  I won out and we started painting the dining room.  I think it looks wonderful and that's all that really matters isn't it?

Before.

After.

See?  I think it looks pretty nice.  Very warm and vibrant.  And you can't get much worse than how it was.  In the before picture up there you can see that the dining room and living room are painted the same greenish minty color.  Not a bad color but WAY overused.  It's like walking into a dinner mint.  They painted the whole big space and ceiling that color.  Way too much.  So I think the red is a huge improvement.

We're going to paint the trim another white color too.  I haven't decided if the living room will be the same red color and then the arch in the middle will be an accent color.  I don't want to follow in the previous owners' footsteps and paint everything the same color.  Dull.  So we'll see what I feel like when that dining room is completely finished.

Hopefully soon we can get the kitchen in and the bathroom.  Then the floors need to be sanded and retouched.  Beautiful wooden floors that just need some tender loving care.  What am I saying?  The whole house needed some tender loving care.

God I can't wait to be done with this and move in.  Life will actually feel normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment