Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Curious about the house?

I don't actually know if anyone is curious about the house but I realize I haven't updated about it in a while.  Probably because I'm busy a lot of the time and haven't been so in love with working on the house.

That said, my parents are lovely and much more talented than I am and have been making huge progress.  I have a hard time really helping out because sometimes I feel I can hardly be trusted with a hammer half the time.  Yes I have hammered my fingers many times during this remodel.  I shutter to think about what horrors I could accomplish with a table saw.

Anyway, update on the house:

As you should know, I decided to paint the outside trim a dark green.  I love that color and was very pleased.  However, my mom was very insistent that we needed more colors.  So a tannish/light green was added and then eventually a purple.  I am not a huge fan of purple and wasn't entirely tickled about it but my mom promises she'll repaint some of the purple green.  She went a little crazy with the purple if you ask me and I am not in love with it.  The front of the house is painted so it looks very nice.  Not the same in the back but we ran out of warm days to paint.  When it warms up a bit we'll finish up with the back.

Gutters are going on today!  FINALLY!  My house will be protected in the rain.  They will be the same dark green color as the trim.

Getting bids on the fence as we speak.  I refuse not to have a fence when I move in because I want to make sure Whitman is contained.  He's less likely to wander off than Gerani, surprisingly.  But he is much more likely to get into trouble than she is.  Although Whitman has really grown up and I don't think he'd bite anyone anymore, I still would rather do right by him and have him contained for his safety.

Inside has really come along.  The vents and what not from the new furnace have all been covered with drywall, thanks Dad!  Also walled off the door from the front bedroom to the kitchen to give us more wall space to work with.  We're getting those resurfaced either Friday or the beginning of next week.  We decided on linoleum for the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room.  It would take too much time to strip those floors back to the original wood.  That goes in on Thursday.  This weekend we're going to be putting in the cabinets and get the kitchen actually looking like a kitchen.

So it's actually coming right along and there should be big progress soon.  I'll start getting excited when it actually starts looking liveable.  Right now it still feels like a big project to me.

I'll be over there later today working so I'll take some pictures and post those later.  Anyone who wants to help with painting inside, I do plan on having a painting party not this weekend but next weekend.  Pizza and drinks provided!



I was reading this article from the Gazette online about researching the past of your house.  Very interesting and really something I want to do.  My house is over a hundred years old... about 120 years old I think... and must have some interesting history.  Once I actually move in and get my life settled I'm going to definitely look into doing some research on it.  Cool article.

No comments:

Post a Comment