Sunday, August 31, 2014

Hot Air Balloon Ride!

Something wonderful happened today!  I got to cross off a hot air balloon ride from my bucket list!  What a way to celebrate the last Balloon Classic!  My sister won a hot air balloon ride and I got to go with her since Jak didn't want to.  I have no idea why but I'm glad because I had a blast.  It was the most amazing thing!

We arrived early early early and waited around with coffee and donuts.  It wasn't clear at first if we were going to get to fly because of the winds but thank god it finally cleared up and we got to launch.  They pulled the balloon out and inflated it.  We were the first balloon to go so that everyone would follow us.  So everyone was crowded around as they stood the balloon up because we were the only ones.  It was a great feeling when they made everyone back up and Caitlin and I got to walk forward and climb into the basket.  It was like, oh yeah... we're awesome!

We clambered in, which is not easy.  The basket is not big.  There were extra fuel tanks and our pilot was not a small woman so it was a good thing Caitlin and I are pretty small ourselves.  Moving around in there was almost impossible.  Then we were off!  The fire roared, which kept us nice and warm, and we lifted off!  You would be surprised how smooth it was.  Hot air balloons are very smooth up and down but it is pretty intimidating that up and down is all the pilot can do.  You can't control at all where you go because the wind just takes you where it may.

We took off and smoothly sailed over the lake.  We even got to dip into the lake.  Our pilot accidentally went in pretty deep so our feet and pants got wet but I was so thrilled that we dipped in the lake that I didn't even care.  Everyone was cheering and it was a dream!

The winds kind of circled us around downtown Colorado Springs and that was really cool getting to look down on all the streets I knew.  It was a clear morning and the mountains looked so beautiful.  It was the best morning I've had in a long long time.

After about an hour of floating about, which is a really long ride I guess, we came in for a landing about a block from where we took off.  It is weird that you can just land anywhere you can fit the balloon.  It was just an empty lot that we came down in.  The landing was bumpy but I was just laughing.  So much fun.  As soon as we touched down, the chase crew pulled up and helped us lay the balloon down.  We got to help fold it up and pack it up which is not easy.  That is a heavy balloon!  I have not had that much fun in a long time though.  God I loved it.

If you ever get the chance, go up in a balloon.  There is NOTHING like it!

Video!






















No comments:

Post a Comment