Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I'm a News Celebrity!

I was the lucky board member of Lucky Dog Rescue who got to go on Fox 21 News this morning and talk about our big event on Sunday, the Lucky Dog Jog.  It's a big event, or we hope so anyway, that sustains the rescue throughout the year on funds and donations.  This is the fifth year we've done something like it.  I always end up being extremely busy and really unable to fully help with the planning and prep for this, which I feel bad about, so I think that doing the news spot for it is more than enough to make up for it.

The Fox 21 weather man takes his dog to LD so we reached out to him to try to get some coverage for the rescue.  Myself and an apprentice took a rescue dog down there this morning for a quick chat about the jog.  It was cool to see the news room and everything but it felt a bit like flying by the seat of my pants since I really had no idea what was expected of me.  They said come in.  We came in.  They said sit and wait.  We sat and wait.  They said come sit here and put the mic on.  We sat down and I put the mic on.  Then off we went.

I was petrified but I guess I hid it pretty well.  I've never enjoyed public speaking but I used to have much worse stage fright than I do now.  Now I can kind of just shove that down and fake it.  Training classes in front of people has really made me a better speaker I think.  As long as I don't have to read anything or use notecards I'm fine.  Once I have to start reading and looking at notecards my dyslexia rears its ugly head and we're in real trouble.

So I was very glad that Justin took the lead and just kind of let me wing it with him.  I'm much more comfortable that way.  People tell me you can't tell just how nervous I am so win for me.  Hopefully this brings people into the jog!

Video

No comments:

Post a Comment