Thursday, October 2, 2014

The loss of another

Another death is touching me today.  She wasn't a celebrity to anyone outside of the dog world but to us, she was a profound and talented trainer that did so much.  Dr. Sophia Yin was first a veterinarian.  when she entered the field and saw how clueless the veterinarian community was to training and behavior, she went back to school to become a behaviorist.  Her contribution to the positive reinforcement and dog training world has been huge.  Her low stress handling techniques are incredible and something that everyone in the pet industry should learn.  I was lucky enough to hear her speak several years ago and even got up to do a demo with her.  I was in awe of her knowledge and skill but she came across as a very loving and approachable person who cared and just wanted everyone to learn and do right by their animals.




Dr. Sophia Yin passed away on September 29th, leaving the dog training world and, I'm sure, all who knew her reeling.  I was devastated to hear this but even more devastated to learn that she committed suicide.  So soon after Robin Williams did the same thing, it is hard to believe that someone so talented and such an inspiration to so many of us would do such a thing.  Didn't she have so much to live for?  What about her dogs?  When I was struggling with depression, my dogs were the number one thing keeping me fighting and I find it very hard to cope with someone who did so much for the dogs around her leaving her own.  It really hit close to my heart.

Every time I hear of this happening I hope that people take the loss and apply it to their lives.  So many people around us, even talented and inspirational people that we look up to, struggle with mental illness and private dark battles.  Many people, like I was, are very good at hiding it.  They may be in the darkest place personally and still smile and act normally.  It is the fear of being judged and thought weak that keeps those of us who need the most help from voicing the fact that we are in a dark place.

Please, be the voice of strength, courage and most of all, understanding and acceptance.  Reach out to those around you and help them.  I am so lucky that my sister was a strong voice in my life and I never felt like she judged me for struggling.  Mental illness is real and it affects more people than you know.  Make sure the people in your life know that you are there for them.

And most of all, if you are someone struggling, please reach out.  Ask for help.  People love you.  People care.  You are never alone.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

No comments:

Post a Comment