Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013 is out of the gate and... tired

So far 2013 has been exhausting.  Yesterday I swore I was going to catch up on all this stuff but that didn't happen.  I mostly lazed about.  I thought really hard about being productive so that should count for something.

I've been staying at my sister's house while she and my brother-in-law are in Hawaii.  Lucky bastards.  I've actually liked it though.  Their house is cozy.  Lucy, the beagle, was behaving herself for a while there.  We had one incident the first night were she was being a jerk to Whitman.  Whitman, in his infinite grace (yeah right!), took it very well and I didn't have a dog fight on my hands.  Good behavior didn't last though.  Last night I left for only about an hour to run down to my house.  It wasn't planned so I was forced to leave my two medium sized pizzas.  Lucy suffers from gluttony so she'll pretty much eat anything not nailed down, as it were.  I put the pizzas way up and back on the counter thinking they were safe from this little beagle.  Nope.  When I got back, my dogs were hiding in the corner, obviously having tried to talk Lucy out of it and fearing they would be in trouble since she didn't listen.  Lucy had the pizza boxes ripped apart and strewn all over the place.  No more pizza.  Sad.  And bad because Lucy's stomach was severely distended.  Well I took several hours trying to decide what to do because, of course, it was a holiday.  How do dogs always know it is a holiday?  They always do something to get into trouble on holidays.  Never fails.  Ultimately, at 9:30pm I decided to go ahead and take her in.  I knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep because I was so worried about her and I wouldn't want to leave her alone today without knowing she was going to be okay.

So I bundled her off to the emergency vet and actually got pretty prompt service.  In and out in an hour and 15 minutes.  That's got to be some kind of record.  Once I got there I couldn't be too mad at her.  There was this woman there just bawling because she'd just lost her dog.  So it made me grateful that Lucy, although an idiot, wasn't dying and would be okay.  As much as I complain about her, I do love her and I'd never forgive myself if something happened to her while I was watching her.  The vet was shocked that she'd eaten so much and did some xrays to make sure it wasn't flipping her stomach or anything else.  When she came back she told me she very rarely sees dogs with more distended stomachs than Lucy.  Plus it being so cheesy and high in fat, it was a good thing to get it out of her so that it didn't effect her pancreas.  They induced vomiting and got most if it out of her and sent her home good as new.  It was worth it to go there just to avoid having to clean up that mess I think.  Another fun Lucy story.

In other news I'm just completely exhausted.  My sleep schedule is so messed up after having a week off that it's going to be hard for me to get back on schedule.  This is why I am so careful with my sleep schedule because it really effects me if there is the slightest change.  Next time I have time off I'm going to keep my schedule on track as much as possible.  That way I'm not dragging so much when I have to get back to my normal routine.

Other than that, I have nothing new to report.  More on the house later.

No comments:

Post a Comment