Monday, April 8, 2013

Fight the Power!

I've been a posting slacker.  Basically because I have had a lot happening.  Sitting down and writing about it has seemed like a lot of work.  I have several topics I need to post on.  I'll see how many I can get through.

First and foremost, I quit my job at LI.  Why?  Because the doctor there was being a mega asshole and I think he wanted me gone.  I don't stand for people mistreating me.  I would never let it happen outside of the work place.  I stand up for myself.  Therefore, I should stand up for myself in the work place too.  That's one of the fundamentals I live by.  Stand up for yourself.  People can only mistreat you if you let them.

I kept trying to get things to change at the LI.  I kept asking for help and trying to work things out but at some point you have to ask yourself if it is worth it.  The point it got to, it wasn't worth it anymore.  The vice president that flew out regularly was a nightmare.  We'll call him F.  Now F is an older man and is admittedly from a different time.  When he was young, it was acceptable to be openly sexist and a general douche.  Nowadays, it is not okay.  It is not okay to invite the male employees out to comped lunches and not the female employees.  It is not okay to ask the female employees to bring you plates of food from a potluck or to get you coffee.  It is not okay to ask the female employees to fax or copy personal things for him.  It's just rude and rather disgusting.

In general LI was a rude and disrespectful company.  Couple that with an arrogant and disrespectful doctor and it was just a joyous place all the time.  I got tired of being dumped on and getting in trouble for things that were not my fault.  Four other people worked on that desk and none of them were trained because the manager wouldn't make them come up and train.  I can do receptionist work and I can handle being one of the underlings as an employee but one thing I do not handle well is being disrespected left and right.  If I don't like the job anyway then there really isn't any reason for me to hang around if I'm being disrespected.

So last straw happened and I said "you know what, I'm better than this.  And this company does not appreciate me."  So I was done.  Gave my two weeks even though I almost walked out right there.  That would have been more delightful but I did have respect for some of the other employees so I didn't want to do that to them.  I did use my English skills and wrote a really lovely letter to the CEO and vice-president about the predicament.  Too late to do me any good but I didn't want to be one of those people that just quits and doesn't try to solve the problem behind me and hands it off to the next poor employee to deal with.  Who knows if anything will come of it but at least I put it out there.  And I never have to go back to that depressing place.  I mean honestly, a little moral building would go a long way there.

I've been maliciously giggling to myself too as I hear about things there from my sister.  In the two weeks they had before I was gone they only had two interviews.  They offered the job to one girl and they thought she was going to accept but turns out the doctor and F both said some pretty disrespectful things in her interview and she decided not to take it.  The people covering the desk right now are the four untrained and useless people who were covering my lunches so I'm sure mistakes are being made all over the place.  Out of prospects for the position, they posted it on Craigslist and got about one hundred resumes but none of them are worthy.  Now they have no prospects, no interviews and are drowning.

There are two studies that they count on to make all the money throughout the year.  One is going on right now and they are so disorganized and don't take care of their employees that they were supposed to get at least one hundred and fifty people into the study in about a month.  In the last two weeks they've gotten nine people in.  Oh it makes me laugh.  Unhappy employees don't work as hard as employees that feel appreciated and wanted.  If they'd made me feel at all appreciated I would still be there helping them out.

Guess I was harder to replace than they thought.  Jerks.

No comments:

Post a Comment