Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Hastings Clan Tradition

Another crazy day and it's not even over...

Started the day waking up to creepily silent house.  I got up and crept downstairs.  Normally when we stay with my aunt and uncle there is ALWAYS something going on.  It is rarely quiet.  I crept around... nothing.  No one.  I was actually starting to get worried that here I was creeping around the house finding some breakfast and coffee while everyone in the house had been murdered in their beds.  Yes, those thoughts to tend to go through my head.  Thanks crime shows.  With that happy thought in my head I crept over to the room where my brothers were sleeping and peeked in.  Neither of them moved but they were breathing.  So with the fact that my family hadn't been murdered in their beds, I enjoyed two cups of coffee in the quiet house.  Turns out everyone else was at church and they came back to cook breakfast.  Through no fault of my own I actually missed church completely.  I've sworn that I won't go back to mass because I don't believe in it but I was actually going to go. I just didn't understand the schedule and missed it.  Oops.

Anyway, we got all dressed up and made it to church to meet up with the whole crazy Hastings clan.  Let me tell you there are a shit ton of us.  Sometime when I have more time I'll count for you but for now just know there are a lot of us.  Usually it is like herding cats but we actually made it into some sort of organized group and got a family photo done.  I'm excited to see that.  I think it went fairly well but there is always someone not looking or not smiling.  It wasn't me!  It will be nice to have a picture of all of us.  Maybe the last one.  Missing my Uncle Don who just recently passed away though.

After the picture we all traipsed across the parking lot to the gym where we were going  to have the play.  Honestly the play has always been kind of a silly thing that we do because we love Grandma... or because we're all terrified of Grandma's wrath, you take your pick.  This year, I knew they were planning on it being more like a play play with people watching but I did not count on this:
That is pretty serious.  I had no idea it was going to be like on a stage with cameras and lights and THAT MANY CHAIRS.  Seriously a gulp moment.

There were A LOT of parts in this play but I was lucky enough to get one that is actually in the story of the birth of Christ, a shepherd.  Oh yeah!  So I got ushered back to wardrobe and got all shepherded up.  End result was pretty good I think.


What I didn't bank on was the fact that the shepherds, my sister and I, were in charge of two shepherd children and the star, who was my 5 year old second cousin and a handful.  Yes, I am sure that everyone was pleased to hear that I now have a boyfriend which means I am not a lesbian.  Oh yes, I have heard the whispers and rumors.  But does that really mean I need to be saddled with children during a play in which Grandma would skin me if I let them ruin it.  Keeping kids quiet and entertained for hours in costumes and in a hallway waiting for our couple of minutes on the stage is not easy.  It certainly was good birth control though.

Other fun play prep:
My Grandpa who was the narrator. 
Brothers
Got to have some fun
Thank God I wasn't a camel...
Shepherd Children
Cousins
Cousins
So after one run through we put the play on for an audience of like 60 people.  I've said it before and I'll say it again that being a Hastings in Edwardsville is like being in the mafia.  I only kid...

I think it went as well as we could have hoped.  I'm sure I will be getting a copy of the video and we'll see if I ever let anyone see it.  I'm glad we all got together to do it for my Grandma though.  It was her baby.  To get all of us together and in costume shows you how strong she is.

After that we had to put everything away and then it was dinner time!  Wooo!  If you ever get the chance to eat with the Hastings clan, here's a tip.  Get in line and get the food as soon as you can.  Just file that away.

We did some visiting then we did our traditional present exchange.  Anyone who wants to be a part of it is assigned another person's name.  That way you don't have to get more presents than one.  I had Kara and got her some earrings.  Alexis had me and got me a pretty cool gourmet cookbook.  Can't wait to try that out.  After the exchange, it was only 6pm even though it felt like midnight.

We did some more visiting and I finally got to hold my baby cousin.  He isn't the newest, just got another one three weeks ago but I somehow missed out on holding him.  Babies in this family usually get passed around like no one's business.  Coming from the mind of a dog person, it is like socializing a puppy to as many people as possible.  I remember being a small child in the family.  Sometimes you don't know how you're related to that person, you just take it with faith that you are.

Isn't he darling!?
 So after cleaning up we all packed up and some of us headed off to another house to play games.  Which is where we are now.  I'm exhausted and so ready for bed but I don't want to miss a minute of family time.  I really wish I lived closer to all of them.  It is a blessing to have a such a wonderful and loving family.

Off to play games!  Who knows when I will be bed bound but earlier will be better since I have to leave tomorrow morning for my flight at 5:45am.  Oh man...

No comments:

Post a Comment