Saturday, December 21, 2013

Whirlwind day...

This weekend is going to be crazy busy for me. I feel a bit like I've been swept into a hurricane and it will be a miracle if I can keep all my balls in the air.

This has been my day:


  • Finished packing and made sure everything was set up for the dogs.  (Whitman and my sister's dogs.  Been at their house)
  • Met with Astrid to petsit some cats.
  • Went to Geoff's house to pick up a present.
  • Off to work for a couple of hours.
  • Straight from work to Jake's house.
  • Jake took me to the airport.
  • Flew from Colorado Springs to Dallas.
  • Layover.
  • Delay.
  • Delay.
  • Delay.
  • Finally fly from Dallas to St. Louis.
  • Wait for my brother.
  • Drive from St. Louis to Edwardsville.
  • Chat a bit with family.
  • Now finally in bed updating my blog.


So why am I in St. Louis?  Well this year is probably the last time we will all come together as the Hastings clan and see each other.  If I didn't come I would be the only one in like 50 that couldn't make it.  Everyone is here and that's quite a feat.  My grandma does this Nativity play every year but since it is getting to be so hard to get people together for Christmas in this huge crazy family, this year, the 25th year, is going to be the last official year that it happens.

It has been a crazy day and I'm already wiped but I'm glad that I could make it here.  I'm kind of irritated that it is going to be so crazy because stupid work wouldn't give me more than ONE day off for this.  So I worked this morning, flew out and I have tomorrow to spend here.  Then Monday I fly back home and go straight to work.  Yay for the crazy holiday season.

I love flying.  I am not such a huge fan of the airport though.  I was pretty pleased with Colorado Springs though because I got to do the TSA precheck thing at security.  They do a chemical test on your hands, for explosives I assume, and if you pass that then all you have to do is walk through the metal detector.  It's amazing.  Usually you have to basically undress and bend over backwards in order to get through security.  I am a huge fan of precheck.  It got me through so fast that I had lots of time to sit at the gate.  I will say that I probably won't fly American again.  Their agents are little power hungry jerks and don't seem to know what is going on.  The lady at the gate in Colorado Springs was a dragon lady wielding her little power over bag size like a Grinch.  This other girl and I were watching her make people repack their bags so they could fit in the carry on cage thing.  I've never seen people actually check that.  And she was being a bitch about that.  Yeesh.  When it was my turn to board, by God she was not stopping me and making me do anything to my bag.  I just brushed on past her.  Take that dragon lady!  At least the flight was good.

Usually I just put on my iPod and either sleep or read/write.  The flight from Colorado Springs to Dallas was different though.  I was sitting next to this cute army guy and he was pretty talkative.  He just got back from Afghanistan and he was making his way to New Orleans to go on a cruise.  We had a great time talking about almost everything and we were actually making each other laugh.  It's rare for me to connect so much with a stranger so that was fun.  That was something new for me and I'm glad I didn't just brush him off and put on my earphones.  I wish him well.  Doubt I'll ever see him again but it was good to share that flight with him.

Dallas wasn't so bad.  I just meandered my way to my next gate and plopped down.  There is a storm out east that was muddling travel though because there were quite a few delays and people RUNNING for their next flight.  Luckily I was only delayed about two hours total so it wasn't so bad.  I got some good people watching in.  That's a good past time.  It was amusing to see so many people just take off as fast as they can run to get to their next flight.  I feel their pain and don't want that to happen to me but it was amusing to watch.  So silver lining if you ever have to run for a flight is that you're probably amusing the people watching you streak by.

Once I landed I trecked on out to my dad waiting to pick me up.  I was about two hours late but it all worked out because my brother who was flying in right behind me was also about two hours late.  We only had to wait about a half hour for him then we drove off to Edwardsville.  Finally having arrived, it was nice to see family but even nicer to climb into bed.

Tomorrow is another busy day so I'll actually try to sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment