Wednesday, October 3, 2012

In the kitchen

I've been attempting to make changes in my life.  Of course, like many people, my new years resolutions tend to be good intentions more than anything else.  One thing I have been steadily working on is cooking more.  I've always been able to cook but I don't necessarily like to do it.  I don't want to spend an hour cooking something that will take me 15 minutes to eat.  However, in the interest of eating better and spending less, I've started doing just that.  Eventually hopefully I will get faster because I do want to keep at it.

Pinterest has been a big help in this.  (which reminds me I need to post about Pinterest in general)  But anyway I began seeing some yummy looking things on Pinterest and began to gather them up.  Then I thought about actually trying them out.  So I bought a recipe book and put together my Pinterest recipes. 
I haven't tried them all, obviously, but what I have tried has been very good.  This is encouraging.

So tonight I'm making some Mexican Stuffed Shells.

The picture looks good doesn't it?  I have found that my food doesn't look nearly that pretty but it tastes just fine... so far.

I still haven't figured out THE system for shopping.  I did discover this site BigOven that I can upload my recipes to and create weekly shopping lists and such.  Now when I actually get to sit down and get those recipes on there it will be a nifty thing.  Until then I just kind of pull up Pinterest on my phone while I wander around the store.  And King Soopers is big into changing everything around so it makes no sense and is hard to find those little things.  I sent my brother to shop for this meal and he came back with taco shells instead of pasta shells and he couldn't find green onions.  (he's adorable).  I go to pick up those two things, and of course come out with about 15 more things than I needed damn them, and it took me about 5 minutes of staring at the pasta wall to find large shell pasta.  Finally found it way back in the corner.  Someone must be making A LOT of Mexican Stuffed Shells tonight because there were only a couple of boxes left.  I knew where to get the green onions and then my 15 extra items and I checked out.  Can I just note, that I will not go to a human checker unless forced to.  I like those self checkout things.

I must say that my stuffed pasta was VERY nummy.  Took me longer than it should have because I was watching the debate at the same time but I think this was a successful cooking experience.  

Mmm mmm good eating.



The how to!
Mexican Stuffed Pasta

  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 package low-sodium taco seasoning
  • 4 oz. cream cheese
  • 14-16 jumbo pasta shells
  • 1.5 cup salsa
  • 1 cup taco sauce
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup monterey jack cheese
  • 3 green onions
  • Sour cream
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.  
  2. In a frying pan cook ground beef; add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions.  Add cream cheese, cover and simmer until cheese is melted. Blend well. Set aside and cool completely.  
  3. While ground beef is cooking, cook the pasta shells according to directions; drain. Set shells out individually on cutting board/baking sheet so that they don’t stick together.  
  4. Pour salsa on bottom of 9×13 baking dish.  Stuff each shell with the meat mixture. Place shells in 9×13 pan open side up. Cover shells with taco sauce.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  
  5. After 30 minutes, add shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 more minutes, with the foil removed.  Top with any condiments you’d like (green onions, black olives, etc.) Serve with sour cream and/or more salsa.
  6. Enjoy with yummy noises.

No comments:

Post a Comment