Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Give Thanks - Safety and Open Minds

In the light of what is happening in Ferguson, Missouri, I am so grateful to be safe in my community.  Tonight, Ferguson is not safe.

Rewind.  This summer a white police officer shot and killed a young black man after an altercation.  This whole thing has turned into a comment on race and turned so negative.  Black people in Ferguson rioted and ended up hurting their community even more.  I am not going to get too much into my thoughts on it but mostly I look negatively on it all.  It is so sad that this happened but it is even worse that people are using this as a catalyst to destroy their community instead of coming together and strengthening themselves.

I am grateful that I am in a community that has been rocked (fires and floods) but did come together in strength.  I do feel safe here.  I am also so grateful that I am surrounded by people that have open minds and are willing to discuss and talk about problems without reverting to hatred and destruction.  It is something that I have cultivated in myself and I hope I can pass that on.

Important Video

No comments:

Post a Comment